12/14/15

15 Minutes


I'm Back!! School got crazy and exams and everything but now its Christmas break so I have some posts to type that never got finished and hopefully some other fun posts!!

Anyways, remember in my 100th post where I said that I was at the museum working on something for a class and I would post it later after I turned it in?  Well long story short we never ended up really having to present it like I thought and so while waiting for what I had to do with it in class I waited it post it..and now since school is over, I figured I might as well post it!!

We were shooting a documentary and we had to go to possible place that we would like to interview our person or the place that we were doing our documentary on and do an observation piece.  We were supposed to record sound for 15 minutes and then for a different 15 minutes write what was going on around us while we were sitting there.  After I did the writing piece I decide that it might be something interesting to post on the blog.  The specific name of the place has been taken out and the typos fixed and some of it may not make since it is specific to my class but other then that enjoy!


Elizabeth

Moving Pixels: Observation Exercise

Setting: ******** ** Patio in the gardens of ****

Time: 1:15 PM

A siren sounds far off in the distance but not loud enough to disturb the area around VMFA. Up the grassy hill from me water running sounds almost as if there is a waterfall, however it is just the fountain above me.  I begin to hear a second siren and realize that in recording sound this could become a problem.  The sound of a  small group of people walking up the entrance of the museum wafts over to me but not loud enough that I can hear what they are saying.  Someone is sitting down near me in the sun.  He is sitting in one chair and propping his feet up in the other one reading a book, this does seem like a good place to read a book.  As a bird or a few birds start to chirp a plane flying over disrupting the quiet calmness but not enough to bother any one that is sitting around the area.  Across the patio and by the parking lot two friends meet, great, and hug whether on purpose or on accident I don’t know.  The occasional sound of footsteps of people meandering by me as I am sitting is enough to let me know that I am not alone.  While on a busy road I do not hear too much sound from the cars going by and what I do hear almost adds to the tranquility of the space something that I didn’t think that it would do.  Every so often one louder car will go by and break that sound though.  The sound of the cars is almost like the sound of the waterfall it starts to blend into the background except for the occasional different truck.  A new sound is added to the environment as someone walks by me on speakerphone but she is soon past and the sound goes back to how it was before.  As a third plane fly over I realize that while I don’t mind it in a video this could be a problem.  A small tinkle of laugher floats through a air from the three people that are sitting at the patio of the restaurant and have been since I got here.  They are far enough away that all I can hear from them is the murmur a voices without being able to distinctively anything from them.  A fourth person just came out to the patio but is sitting at a table alone.  He looks like he could be a worker at the museum that is out on his break, the sound that his chair made while he pulled it out from the table being a very distinctive noise.  Next a security guard and a lady are walking by and talking.  Even though she is wearing what seem to be boots they actually look like high heels.  Every so often sounds a light music floats over too me.  I even had to check at one point that it wasn’t my phone playing but I’m pretty sure it is from the cafĂ©.  As I sit two more girls walk by where I am sitting there is a wooden bridge near me and the footsteps seem louder there then on the stone where I am.  Another sound of laughter from the group of three comes to me as a lone man walks down the stairs on the grassy hill.  I begin to hear the music from the restaurant again as louder burst of laugher reaches me, and the chair of the lone man on the patio is pulled out and pushed in again and footsteps approach me one more time.

Time:1:30

Recording sarted at 1:35 PM


I know that this post was different then what I normally do but I hope you enjoyed! Hope the end of school and the break is treating you well!!

XOXO
Elizabeth